At present, The Lightning Rod is exclusively an online operation. Here are our guidelines and information for advertisers.
- All ads must be submitted in a web-usable image format (JPG, PNG, or GIF) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Animated GIFs are OK if not excessively distracting; Flash is not. Of course, with an image you must also provide the URL that you want your ad to link to. HTML and text are also accepted; any CSS (except web fonts) must be inline. Click here to view the theme CSS which will apply to your ad by default. The pixel size limits listed below apply to all types of ads.
- Please contact us if you need help designing your ad. We will be glad to assist at no additional cost.
- The Lightning Rod reserves the right to reject any ad for technical, legal or other reasons. We will not accept ads for any product or service that is not legal for the majority of the student body to purchase.
- Ads must be prepaid. The costs are listed below.
- There are two locations that we run ads. Each location may have up to four (likely fewer) ads running in random rotation at any time, but when your ad is delivered it will ALWAYS be the only one on the page. Months are treated as any continuous 30-day period. Ask about discounts for student organizations.
- Sidebar on the home page (width 260 pixels, height 260–400 pixels)
$20 per month, only $15 for your first month
- Between the header image and article headline on article pages (width 728–750 pixels, height 90–100 pixels)
$10 per month, only $7.50 for your first month
- FREE with your ad: sponsored tweets on our account @Lightning_R0d three times a month during the ad period. May include graphics. Our Twitter account has over 350 followers and counting with a reach of thousands of accounts.
- Ads can be submitted larger than the maximum dimensions (they will be scaled down to fit the space) but should fall within the range for aspect ratio. Note that IAB Leaderboard-size ads (728 x 90 pixels) can be used for article pages.
- We are a growing operation, having begun in 2011. We typically reach over 820 unique visitors each month. Contact us for detailed stats reports.
- Additionally, if you like, we can route your ad clicks through a Bitly link, which will give you an easy way to keep track of how many people click on your ad. We can also provide you with information on how many people see your ad.
To buy an ad, send an email to email@example.com along with the dates you would like it to run (remember, a month is 30 days) or use the form at the bottom of this page. Mail your check (pay to The Lightning Rod) or cash to:
The Lightning Rod c/o Jill Cowburn
Saratoga Springs High School
1 Blue Streak Blvd
Saratoga Springs NY 12866-5952